T-cell recognition, the immunosuppression of regulatory T-cells, the immune regulation of NK cells, and single-cell systems immunology
MS, Georgia Institute of Technology, Chemical Engineering, 2007
PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology, Bioengineering in 2008
Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University, Immunology, 2009-2015
Assistant Professor, University of Chicago, 2015-
NIH Pathway to Independence Award, 2014
Cancer Research Foundation Young Investigator Award, 2015
Huang’s research focuses on quantitative study of the protective immune function of conventional T cells, the immunosuppressive properties of regulatory T cells and the cytolytic function of natural killer cells. Utilizing state-of-the-art single-molecule and single-cell imaging techniques, single-molecule biomechanical assays as well as high-throughput systems biology methods, Huang’s group carries out basic scientific research, focusing on molecular mechanisms and immune function of cells, as well as translational researches with the objective of developing immunotherapies for infectious diseases and cancer.
1. Huang, J., Zarnitsyna, V.I., Liu, B., Edwards, L.J., Jiang, N., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. (2010). The kinetics of two-dimensional TCR and pMHC interactions determine T-cell responsiveness. Nature, 464, 932-936.
2. Jiang, N.*, Huang, J.*, Edwards, L.J., Liu, B., Zhang, Y., Beal, C.D., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. (2011). Two-stage cooperative T cell receptor-peptide major histocompatibility complex-CD8 trimolecular interactions amplify antigen discrimination. Immunity, 34, 13-23. (*Co-first author).
3. Xie, J., Huppa, J.B., Newell, E.W., Huang, J., Ebert, P.J., Li, Q.J., and Davis, M.M. (2012). Photocrosslinkable pMHC monomers stain T cells specifically and cause ligand-bound TCRs to be 'preferentially' transported to the cSMAC. Nature Immunology, 13, 674-680.
4. Zeng, X., Wei, Y., Huang, J., Newell, E.W., Kidd, B.A., Kuhns, M.S., Weaver, C.T., Davis, M.M., and Chien, Y. (2012). γδ T cells recognize common B cell antigens to initiate IL-17 response. Immunity, 37, 524-534.
5. Huang, J., Brameshuber, M., Zeng, X., Xie, J., Li, Q., Chien, Y., Valitutti, S., and Davis, M.M. (2013). A single peptide-major histocompatibility complex ligand triggers digital cytokine secretion in CD4+ T cells. Immunity, 39, 846–857.